Friday, August 8, 2008

Reflections on Teaching and Learning and Technology

8/8/08- I just love typing this date out!

I knew at the beginning of the summer that I would be taking this class so I started joining and signing up for a few of the technologies I knew we would be talking about, beginning to immerse myself. My learning curve is a bit steep so I believed this would help me keep up in class. Then class started and while I did see a benefit (at least I was familiar with some of the terminology and how to move around in some of the environments) instead of immersing myself it was more like I had dipped my toe in very slowly. In the last three days I have read five of the modules created for our wiki as part of the homework. What an amazing, overwhelming compilation of work! I have clicked on every link and signed up for some of the technologies available that I think will benefit me and my personal and professional learning networks.

Now that I have slept and had a chance to reflect on the reading, my personal take away is what has been the primary thread of thought throughout this exploration of web 2.0 technologies - communication, collaboration and sharing in multiple media formats allows the student to be an active participant in his or her learning. The challenge for me will be to get adult learners to buy into the benefits of the technology. Currently, where I work, we are being inundated with changes in practice and technology. Many are crying enough is enough.

Nurses are traditionally hands on caregivers who eschew technology unless it benefits the patient. Additionally, often, they feel their voices are not heard by the powers that be. My hope is that by creating a collaborative workspace (read wiki) in our specialty those who provide hands on care will begin to feel valued and realize the importance of what they have to offer the profession. Little by little, we educators can add to the technologies used until they become integrated into the practice of direct patient care benefiting patients and caregivers alike. What an amazing beginning that would be!

No comments: