Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reflections

14 August 2008

I cannot believe it has been almost a week since I spent time writing in the blogosphere. I just reread my last post and noticed that I actually referred to myself as an educator. As most who read this know, I am not a teacher by profession. I am a registered nurse who works at the bedside giving hands on care and I love what I do.

I developed an interest in staff development about three years ago and started looking for a graduate degree that would complement this interest. I discovered (or was led to, you pick) Instructional Design & Technology. So I dove into the program here at the U of M and while I love it, have been challenged by it and learned volumes I have always felt a bit of an outsider, until today. I am an educator.

I have not blogged this week as I have been ruminating about our homework and class meetings and how I can apply what we have learned to my professional development and the professional development of my colleagues. I've also been working on the layout of the table of contents for the modules on the class wiki so I have been reviewing all of the remarkable material.

My take away from all of this reflecting? First, there is life after PowerPoint and I intend to live it. I have always had a love affair with the written word. As a result I tend to teach with text (and the chemo course I teach requires the use of their slides, shudder). I have seen others use video and audio but never really felt comfortable with it myself or, if I am being honest, really believed it was productive. But as I have read, and listened to and watched the material in my classmates modules I realize I am learning, and if someone so resistant can learn then how much would someone who isn't resistant, or doesn't learn by reading benefit? So I am thrilled to have tools, tutorials and examples of slide shows and presentations that are vibrant and thought provoking.

My second take away has to do with passion. One of our video references commented that learning should be joyous. The fact that the speaker said it with passion made me a believer. In fact, the passion of so many of our speakers in their belief that education is about more than bullet points, lectures and tests has encouraged me to catapult myself into practices (this blog, for instance) that I would never have attempted on my own. So, educators passionate and persistent about technology can, and will, transform the educational landscape from passive reception and regurgitation to active participation and creation. If we, as educators, are passionate about guiding learners not only will the learners be engaged, they will in turn be passionate about their learning. Passion is contagious!

No comments: